How to Be Prepared for Your First Dance Competitions
Article 1: Costume bags and kits
Dance competitions are a chance for competitors to show the fruits of their labor, so it makes sense that they are associated with a sense of fun and excitement. However, they are also extremely intense fortunately, if your child is entering in their first dance competition, you can help by making sure that you bring the right essentials.
What You Need to Survive a Dance Competition
Be sure to include these items in your survival kit for your child's first dance competition:
- Getting the right dance bag is the first consideration since it can have such an enormous impact on the rest of the survival kit. Generally speaking, you want a large duffel that has been compartmentalized to make finding its contents as convenient as it can be. We have a RAC N ROLL dance bag, which comes in a wide range of sizes and shapes for catering to a wide range of dancers.
- You are going to need garment bags for costumes as well as other clothes and accessories. Since keeping track of what has been put in which bag can be a bit confusing after a while, you should get clear garment bags so that you can always see their contents and tape a list or picture to the bag of each number.
- Hair and make up are just as important for setting the right impressions on the dance stage. Your teacher will request a specific style and you may have to change the style multiple times per number. Your studio may have a required make-up kit. As a result, it should come as no surprise to learn that hair and make up kits are an essential part of the dance competition survival kit. I use a hanging organizer these are real inexpensive you can get them on Amazon.com also another popular idea is using a tool box and blinging it out, there are lots of ideas on Pinterest.
- Here is a list of hair and make-up must haves
- Detangle brush (be prepared for a battle)
- Wide tooth and rat tail comb
- Bobby pins (jumbo, regular and mini) and push pins need to be same color as dancers hair and color of accessories (hat)
- Hair bands and hairnets to match the color of the dancers hair
- Strong hold hairspray and gel
- Bun rolls (large and 2 small)
- Spray bottle
- Make up pencil sharpener
- Applicator brushes
- Fake eyelashes and eyelash glue
- Foundation to match skin (remember summer you will need a darker tone)
- Make up remover
- Black eyeliner (I like cream and using a brush)
- Brown eyeshadow pallet
- Lip liner
- Powder to match skin
- Blush (peach and rose)
Check with your studio on required colors and styles each team is different. I will be posting a downloadable checklist soon so check back.
Article 2: Emergency, first aid and snacks! Also download your free competition checklist.